*Special Note: The 2019-2022 McKinney-Vento Grant application is now open and available through NYSED's website. Before applying, you are welcome to review to the 2019-2022 McKinney-Vento Grant Informational Webinar recording and/or PPT.**Grant funding is available to LEAs (School Districts, Charter Schools, and BOCES) through a competitive application process administered by the New York State Education Department (NYSED). Applications for the McKinney-Vento Competitive Grant are available every 3 years. LEA's who successfully secure a 3-year grant may use funds to provide programs and activities that support the school success of students experiencing homelessness. Allowable activities include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- The provision of tutoring, supplemental instruction, and enriched educational services, as well as transportation to and from such services;
- Before-school and after-school activities, mentoring, and summer programs with a teacher or other qualified individual, as well as transportation related to these programs and services;
- Provision of student support services, including mental health counseling and violence prevention counseling, as well as transportation related to these services;
- Partnerships with local organizations to provide physical and mental health services, enrichment activities, or other “whole child” supports, as well as transportation related to these services;
- Supplemental food programs such as after-school snacks or weekend food programs;
- Provision of developmentally appropriate early childhood education programs not otherwise provided;
- Provision of education and training to parents of students in temporary housing about educational rights and resources that are available;
- Adaptation of space, purchase of supplies for non-school facilities (e.g., stimulating and age-appropriate play/study spaces within shelters or “calming corners” in classrooms); and
- Professional development and training on McKinney-Vento statutes, trauma-sensitivity, or another related topic for educators, school/district personnel, and/or community partners.
For more information about McKinney-Vento grants generally, please contact the Homeless Education Program at the State Education Department at (518) 473-0295. You may also contact Arija Linauts at NYS-TEACHS at 212-822-9571.
Have questions about this topic?