Thank you for taking time to learn more about the needs and resources of our students affected by homelessness. Whether you are an official NYC DOE School-Based Liaison or a DOE employee who’s interested in learning more about this important population, we’re here to provide you with essential information for identifying and supporting Students in Temporary Housing.
For questions, contact:
- Students in Temporary Housing Team or at STHinfo@schools.nyc.gov
- NYS-TEACHS at email@example.com or call (800) 388-2014
School Year 2020-21 Training Requirement
In order to meet the training mandates of the federal McKinney-Vento Act as reauthorized by the Every Student Succeeds Act, School-Based Liaisons must participate in annual professional development so they can better identify and meet the needs of children and youth experiencing homelessness.
The School-based Liaison for STH must complete the following by 1/29/2021 to meet the training mandate:
- Confirm you are listed in your school’s Consolidated Plan (or you’re taking this to learn outside of the training requirement);
- Complete the 2020-2021 McKinney-Vento Act web training through a third-party training platform, Teachable. Use this link to begin the training module.
- In the Teachable platform (School: NYS-TEACHS), complete the training module:
- View the NYC DOE SBL McKinney-Vento videos
- Check Your Understanding
- Complete the Participation Form
Having difficulty signing up for/logging in to Teachable? Review our Signing Up for Teachable Guide.
School-Based Liaison How-To Resources
Check out these videos on Parent/Guardian MetroCard distribution and the role of the NYC DOE School-Based Liaison.
- Parent/Guardian MetroCards: Starting this school year, schools (not shelters or Borough Offices) are responsible for giving MetroCards to parents in temporary housing. Learn more about the new process:
School-Based Liaison Learning Series
- What SBLs Need to Know About Enrollment: Students in temporary housing are entitled to immediate enrollment. Review:
- What SBLs Need to Know About Learning Bridges: Who is eligible? How do students apply? Review:
- What SBLs Need to Know About Busing: Which students in temporary housing are eligible for yellow bus service? Review:
- What SBLs Need to Know About iPads: From requests to troubleshooting to replacing broken devices. Review:
- What SBLs Need to Know About Supporting Students with Title I Funds: What are some allowable uses of Title I set-asides for students in temporary housing? How can students be supported effectively? Review: